Articles in the press
The remainder of this page lists selected academic publications
- Daines B Gask L & Howe QA (2007) Medical and Psychiatric Issues for Counsellors London: Sage.2nd edition.
- Gask L (2004) A Short Introduction to Psychiatry. London : Sage.
- Goldberg D Gask L and Morriss R (2008) Psychiatry in Medical Practice 3rd edition. London: Routledge
- Gask L Kendrick A Peveler R & Chew-Graham C (2018) Primary Care Mental Health London: RCPsych/Cambridge University Press.Winner of best Primary Care book at BMA book awards 2019. 2nd edition
- Gask L Coskun B Baron D (2011) Teaching Psychiatry. Wiley.
Selected journal papers grouped by topic
I have over 170 peer-reviewed papers published in academic journals.
Collaborative and integrated care for people with mental health problems
- Lester H Gask L (2006) Delivering medical care for patients with serious mental illness or promoting a collaborative model of recovery? British Journal of Psychiatry. 188:401-2.
- Richards DA, Lovell K, Gilbody S, Gask L, Torgerson D, Barkham M, Bland M, Bower P, Lankshear AJ, Simpson A, Fletcher J, Escott D, Hennessy S, Richardson R. (2008) Collaborative care for depression in UK primary care: a randomized controlled trial. Psychol Med. 38:279-87
- Gask L, Dickens C, Coventry P. (2012) Collaborative care for depression and anxiety problems. Cochrane Database Syst Rev.;10:CD006525. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD006525.pub2.
- Gask L, Lovell K, Chew-Graham C, Bower P, Cape J, Pilling S, Araya R, Kessler D, Bland JM, Green C, Gilbody S, Lewis G, Manning C, Hughes-Morley A, Barkham M (2013) Clinical effectiveness of collaborative care for depression in UK primary care (CADET): cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ; 347: f4913
- Reilly S, Planner C, Gask L, Hann M, Knowles S, Druss B, Lester H (2013) Collaborative care approaches for people with severe mental illness. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. Nov 4;11
- Coventry P, Lovell K, Dickens C, Bower P, Chew-Graham C, McElvenny D, Hann M, Cherrington A, Garrett C, Gibbons CJ, Baguley C, Roughley K, Adeyemi I, Reeves D, Waheed W, Gask L (2015) Integrated primary care for patients with mental and physical multimorbidity: cluster randomised controlled trial of collaborative care for patients with depression comorbid with diabetes or cardiovascular disease BMJ.16;350.
- Kates N, Arroll B, Currie E, Hanlon C, Gask L, Klasen H, Meadows G, Rukundo G, Sunderji N, Ruud T, Williams M. (2018) Improving collaboration between primary care and mental health services. World J Biol Psychiatry. 20:1-18.
- Camacho EM, Davies LM, Hann M, Small N, Bower P, Chew-Graham C, Baguely C, Gask L, Dickens CM, Lovell K, Waheed W, Gibbons CJ, Coventry P. (2018) Long-term clinical and cost-effectiveness of collaborative care (versus usual care) for people with mental-physical multimorbidity: cluster-randomised trial. Br JPsychiatry.213:456-463
- Gask L, Goldberg D, Lesser A L and Millar T (1988) Improving the psychiatric skills of the general practice trainee; an evaluation of a group training course (1988) Medical Education 22, 132-138.
- Van den brink Muinen A Verhaak PFM Bensing JM Bahrs O Deveugele M Gask L Leiva F Mead N Messerli V Oppizzi L Pentenburg M Perez A (2000) Doctor patient communication in different European countries: Relevance and performance from the patient’s perspective. Patient Education and Counselling 39 115-27Gask L Usherwood T (2002) The consultation. (ABC of Psychological Medicine) British Medical Journal 324 1567-9
- Kennedy A, Gask L, Rogers A. (2005) Training professionals to engage with and promote self-managementHealth Education Research 20:567-78
- Gask L (1986) What happens when psychiatric outpatients are seen once only? British Journal of Psychiatry 148, 663-666.
- Gask L Sibbald B and Creed F (1997) Evaluating models of working at the interface between mental health services and primary care. British Journal of Psychiatry 170 6-11
- Lee J Gask L Roland M Donnan S (2002) Primary care lead commissioning of mental health services: lessons for primary care groups from total purchasing Journal of Mental Health 11: 431-439
- Gask L (2005) Role of specialists in common chronic diseases. British Medical Journal 19;330 651-3.
- Gask L (2004) Powerlessness, control and complexity: the experience of family physicians in a group model HMO. Annals of Family Medicine 2: 150-5
- Gask L. (2005) Overt and covert barriers to the integration of primary and specialist mental health care. Social Science and Medicine. 2005 61:1785-94.
- Chew-Graham C, Slade M, Montana C, Stewart M, Gask L.(2007) A qualitative study of referral to community mental health teams in the UK: exploring the rhetoric and the reality BMC Health Serv Res.7:117.
- Gask L, Khanna T (2011) Ways of working at the interface between primary and specialist mental healthcare Br J Psychiatry. 198:3-5, sup 1.
- Gask L, Bower P, Lamb J, et al. (2012) AMP Research Group Improving access to psychosocial interventions for common mental health problems in the United Kingdom: narrative review and development of a conceptual model for complex interventions. BMC Health Serv Res. 12:249
Managing common mental health problems in primary care
- Dowrick C Gask L Perry R Dixon C Usherwood T (2000) Do general practitioners’ attitudes towards depression predict their clinical behaviour? Psychological Medicine 30,413-419.
- Gask L Rogers A Oliver D May C Roland D. (2003) Qualitative study of patients’ views of the quality of care for depression in general practice. British Journal of General Practice 53 278-283
- Gask L Dowrick C Dixon C Sutton C Perry R Torgerson D Usherwood T (2004) A pragmatic cluster randomised controlled trial of an educational intervention for GPs in the assessment and management of depression. Psychological Medicine 34 63-72
- Gask L, Dixon C, May C, Dowrick C (2005) Qualitative study of an educational intervention for general practitioners in the assessment and management of depression. British Journal of General Practice. 55: 854-9
- Gask L, Aseem S, Waquas A, Waheed W.(2011) Isolation, feeling ‘stuck’ and loss of control: understanding persistence of depression in British Pakistani women J Affect Disord. 128:49-55.
- Dowrick C, Chew-Graham C, Lovell K, Lamb J, Aseem S, Beatty S, Bower P,
- Burroughs H, Clarke P, Edwards S, Gabbay M, Gravenhorst K, Hammond J, Hibbert D, Kovandžić M, Lloyd-Williams M, Waheed W, Gask L. (2013) Increasing equity of access to high-quality mental health services in primary care: a mixed-methods study. Southampton (UK): NIHR Journals Library (full programme grant report).
- McEvoy P, Williamson T, Kada R, Frazer D, Dhliwayo C, Gask L. (2017) Improving access to mental health care in an Orthodox Jewish community: a critical reflection upon the accommodation of otherness. BMC Health Serv Res. 14;17(1):557.
Suicide and self-harm
- Morriss R Gask L Battersby L (1999) Teaching front line health and voluntary workers to assess and manage suicidal patients Journal of Affective Disorders 52: 77-83
- Appleby L Morriss R Gask L et al (2000) An educational intervention for frontline health professionals in the assessment and management of suicidal patients (the STORM project). Psychological Medicine 30, 805-812.
- Gask L Dixon C Morriss R Appleby L Green G (2006) Evaluating STORM skills training for managing people at risk of suicide. Journal of Advanced Nursing 54:739-50
- Gask L Coupe N McElvenny D Green G (2017) Pilot study evaluation of suicide prevention gatekeeper training utilising STORM in a British university setting. British Journal of Guidance & Counselling, 45(5), 593-605.
- Gask L, Coupe N, Green G (2019) An evaluation of the implementation of cascade training for suicide prevention during the ‘Choose Life’ initiative in Scotland – utilizing Normalization Process Theory. BMC Health Serv Res ;19(1):588
- May C Gask L Atkinson T Ellis N Mair F Esmail A (2001) Resisting and promoting new technologies in clinical practice: the case of telepsychiatry. Social Science and Medicine. 52 1889-901. Awarded the Diana Forsythe Memorial Award by the American Medical Informatics Association.
- Bee PE, Bower P, Lovell K, Gilbody S, Richards D, Gask L, Roach P (2008) Psychotherapy mediated by remote communication technologies: a meta-analytic review BMC Psychiatry. 22;8:60
- Bee PE, Lovell K, Lidbetter N, Easton K, Gask L(2010) You can’t get anything perfect: “user perspectives on the delivery of cognitive behavioural therapy by telephone”.Soc Sci Med. 71:1308-15
- Finch TL., May CR, Mair FS, Mort M & Gask L Integrating Service Development with Evaluation in Telehealthcare: An Ethnographic Study British Medical Journal 327: 1205-